The Center is maintained with the help of volunteers of the Metta Meditation Center
Our Guiding Teachers
Instructor Kamala (Kamal)
Bhikkhu Mihintala [Missaka] Kamalasiri is a guided meditation teacher, primarily focusing on Vipassana techniques sourced from the Buddhist Sutras. He believes this path will arm every sentient being against life’s different challenges.
In 1970, Bhikkhu Missaka Kamalasiri was born in Mihintale, Sri Lanka, near the site where the Buddhist monk Mahinda and King Devanampiyatissa inaugurated the presence of Buddhism on this small island nation.
He has held a special interest in meditation since childhood. He started his practice under the guidance of Venerable Ananda Maitriya Maha Nayaka Thero. While there, he also received guidance from the renowned Dhamma teacher, Godwin Samararathne. For information Click here to learn more about Bhante Kamala.
Emerging spiritual interests in his early teens led Sathi to be ordained at age 19 in the Theravada tradition in his native country of Sri Lanka. He also became Bhikku and practiced many years and counseled people from many walks of life using Buddhist teachings.
As a meditation teacher, In 1999 he became a resident at the Great Lakes Vihara in Michigan and traveled around the US and Canada teaching meditation and mindfulness practices, the teachings and philosophy of Buddha (Dhamma), and leading retreats.
In 2003 he made Minnesota his home where, with the support of friends, As A Teacher, he founded Triple Gem of the North in Mankato, which he made his home. He has traveled the state sharing meditation and mindful living. He has shared his wisdom, led retreats and given talks at various Minnesota locations including.
- Visiting teacher at The Marsh, Minnetonka MN
- Meditation Teacher at Carlton College, Northfield, MN
- Meditation Teacher at Gustavus Adolphus College, St Peter MN
- Guiding teacher at Triple Gem of the North, Mankato, MN
- Guiding teacher at Chaska Mindfulness Center
- Guiding teacher at Metta Meditation Center
- Teacher and speaker at several other Twin Cities Area locations
- Sathi has presented meditation techniques to local high schools and colleges.
Responding to invitations, Sathi has planted many seeds of Buddha’s teachings across the United States from which several have blossomed into centers started by Sathi:
- Founder and Guiding Teacher Of Triple Gem Of the North, Mankato, MN
- Founder of Oklahoma Buddhist Vihara, OK
- Founder and Guiding Teacher of Mindfulness Center, Chaska, MN
- Founder and Guiding Teacher of Metta Meditation Center, MN (Click here for the website)
Since establishing himself in Minnesota, Sathi has an interest to what is common in all traditions and schools of Buddhism, particularly regarding the practice of meditation.